Friday, June 18, 2010

The Clapotis, because 15,000 Knitters Can't Be Wrong!

The Clapotis is a scarf pattern that looks more like a shawl to me.  It's trendy, popular, and something that just about every knitter has made, every knitter but me.  It's a cute little project, simple, yet dramatic.  I didn't like it at first, but it seems to have grown on me.  Who would have known I would fall in love with such a popular project?  I always go for the less popular stuff.  I like to be unique and individual.

What is it about this pattern that's got everyone wanting one?  It's a pretty simple, yet dramatic design.  The idea of dropping stitches and the increase pattern isn't something that's completely unheard of.  It looks classy enough, though simple.  There is just so much freedom through fiber choice to make this shawl or scarf take on a variety of looks, from simple and pretty to kind of wacky.  It's really something that speaks to many knitters.  It's truly diverse.  The stitch pattern isn't terribly complex.  Even a newer knitter can quickly master it.  The dropped stitches (though the idea gives me minor heart failure) makes the lace portion very simple to do.  It's a quick and easy knit without the look of simplicity.  It's wonderfully dynamic!

Perhaps that's why patterns such as this become popular.  They're easy and accessible to everyone.  Being offered free on the web probably doesn't hurt either.  Anything that's simple, yet classy can be an easy beginner's project that doesn't have the same, simplistic look of most easier projects.  Unfortunately, most "simple knits" and beginner's projects look like beginner's projects.  However, something anyone can do, yet still looks stylish, are incredibly popular!

My Clapotis is made of Ultra Pima (a cotton), which makes it wonderfully soft, silky, and brilliant.  The beautiful sage color gives it a very simplistic look, yet it's still versatile enough of a color that I can wear it with just about everything.  The pattern is engaging, even for someone who cannot work up a pattern more than once because it's boring once it becomes familiar.  I'm absolutely in love with the project coming off my needles!  Who knew such a popular and trendy project would be so inspiring?  I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment