Friday, October 30, 2015

Well, That Went Not Quite As Planned

The first Time Traveler sock is done!  I was so excited as I bound it off that I had my son (who was 99% ready for school) take his shoe and sock off to try it on.  The result?  Failure.  His foot won't fit.  He can't get them past the heel.  I've got the gauge right, the measurements right.  The sock fits wonderfully on the foot, but the heel just causes a problem.  I forgot that while his midfoot is a normal size for his age, just like me, he has a problem with a really high instep and an unusually large measure around the heel.  It was tragic.  I began to go through my head to figure out how I could get it to be the right size.  The conclusion?

The socks are awesome, but they're not enough to get him excited.  As you can see, all was not lost.  His brother now gets a pair of new socks that somehow fit him perfectly (no idea how that worked out!) and I'm now casting on the second sock.  It's not terribly far along and certainly won't be done before the end of Halloween unless I knit like a beast, and since I'm moving, ,that's not going to happen.  Still, I'll have one boy happy to wear them all year round.  I know the next one up will love them too.  Is it wrong that I've got no problems with handing down socks?  They steal each other's socks all the time.  I'm creeped out by doing that with underwear though (even though, little secret?  My sister and I shared all our socks and underwear when I was a kid...)

And just in case you were wondering how I'm able to enjoy a movie with my kids while knitting?  Well, apparently you have no need to fear!  Little Bear has made sure I can enjoy all the proper fun of a movie while knitting.  The story is retold in exhausting detail (in case I missed anything by counting or looking at charts).  I even get popcorn hand fed into my mouth so I won't get the yarn buttery.  Who wouldn't enjoy a deal like that!  It's too funny because I put my knitting down once I was done with the heel turn and I was told I couldn't eat it myself.  I had to keep on knitting!  No, that one's not addicted to knits, not my Little Bear!  We thoroughly enjoyed it.  I hope you all have a wonderful holiday, and don't eat too much candy!  I'll be enjoying it myself, after some moving.  It feels good to be getting stuff in the new house!  Finally home!

No comments:

Post a Comment