Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Another Pair Down and Project for My Nemesis

This has been a rather productive week for me, and it's only just begun!  It all started with finishing the pair of Snuggle Paw Warmers for Sable.  Those worked up quicker than I remember them being.  I guess the pattern has just become so intuitive that I can whip them out like nothing.  They seem to fly off my needles almost as soon as I cast them on.

I have to admit, this isn't my personal choice in yarn, but they didn't turn out too badly.  The only problem is the photos don't really seem true to color no matter what I do.  They're not quite so peacock in color and are a lot more ruddy.  But the important part is that Sable is happy with them.  Above all else, that's what matters, right?  And I'm not disappointed in the outcome either. They aren't my taste, but that's because I prefer solid colors and kettle dyed yarns that allow the pattern to speak, or simple patterns that really allow the yarn to speak.  For handpainted yarns like this, I tend to gravitate towards a lace pattern, if I use anything, because that allows the pattern and the colors to really pop together in a way that's unique.  Even so, it's not a bad combination in this case.  It's not my style, but I do kind of like it.  I'm glad I was able to step outside my own boundaries in color preference to do something that I wouldn't normally do.

That's how I'm feeling with the socks for my sister.  To me the color and the pattern together are rather loud.  I'm not all for loud things and originally wanted to do a simpler pattern that would allow the yarn to speak for itself, but my sister said if I'm going to do it, I might as well go all the way, right?  This is how I ended up knitting socks that are a loud color with a pattern.  The pattern isn't as bold as I originally wanted, but I think it's going to suit her just fine.  Besides, there's the comedy in knitting "Nemesis" socks for my sister.  I think the whole concept is very appropriate, even if I don't love the color and pattern combination.  Actually, in this case I don't think it's that bad.  The subtle ribbed pattern works really well with the yarn she selected.  It's really kind of a nice combination, in spite of my resistance to making something so incredibly bold.  Additionally, it's a simple enough pattern that it doesn't seem too loud when paired with the yarn.  It's almost complimentary, even though a plain colored sock would show that pattern a lot more effectively.  It's starting to grow on me in an odd sort of way.  I never expected anything like this ever would.

The pattern is so simple, in a way, that I'm able to really dig in and enjoy things while knitting.  In this case I've been watching Penny Dreadful while knitting.  It's meant I've gotten a lot of the project done in relative quick time.  I'm surprisingly already most of the way to the heel turn.  I'd considered doing an alternative heel, but I think I want to stick with the standard heel flap.  The pattern continues all the way down the back of the heel, which I think will make the sock look more interesting.  I like my short row heels and afterthought heels, but there's something about doing the pattern as prescribed that just seems right.  It's been a while since I've done exactly that, so I think it might be time I tried it again.  Besides, I haven't knit a traditional heel in years.  It would be fun to do one as an alternative to what I always do.  There's something really enjoyable about going back and doing something different.  I get so set in my ways with things like socks that I sometimes forget that there is an option other than my standard go-to.  It also provides a different challenge, something I haven't had in a while.  I'm not exactly up to doing lace shawls or anything at the moment, so having a project like this to offer me a challenge seems just about the right pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment