Friday, July 23, 2010

Projects Coming out of my Ears!

It all starts in such a simple way.  First I swear I'm only going to do one project at a time.  That sounds wonderful.  One project at a time means I'll be able to finish everything, in theory.  There won't be dozens of projects on my needles at any time, so I should have an easier time finishing everything.  I'll always know what needs to be worked on.

That was perhaps my first mistake.  I tried to be monogamous, trying to keep to one project at a time, but I found other projects were just to alluring.  They called to me, beckoning me to move on to something else.  I loved the project I was on too much to start hating it, simply because it distracted me from another project I could easily adore.  It was becoming quite tragic, so what could I do?  I had to diversify.

It started with a pair of socks from Cookie A's Sock Innovations.  Let me tell you, I love that book, but the patterns in there aren't for the faint of heart.  Those are some tricky socks.  They're challenging and need a lot of focus, so not something easy to do when the kids are doing nuts, or to sit around the table playing an RPG to.  They're simply not television knitting, and there's no two ways about that.  It's sock patterns that require a lot of focus, which means when I knit those, that will be all I'm doing.

My family are big gamers, I mean the geeky pencil and paper kind.  We would sit around the table, playing out our characters and rolling dice like the geeks that we truly are.  However, I decided I needed something to keep my hands busy.  I wanted to get stuff done while gaming.  For a while it was printed cross-stitch, since the Cookie A socks were to challenging for games, but then it became a pair of classic, top-down vanilla socks.  It was the perfect distraction!

Well, not a single sock of either of those pairs is done.  I moved on to diaper covers out of necessity when we started using cloth diapers with our baby.  The first two pairs flew together, completely undisturbed by work on any other project.  They were so simple and easy that I was certain these were projects I wouldn't distract from.  Of course, the third was a different problem.  I started on the knit-along with the local yarn shop and that was the end of that.  I was on to another project and the shorties have been sitting in my knitting bag ever since, unfinished.  Then I started on longies, and went back between the three projects for a while.

I'm just not meant to be a one project at a time kind of girl, I guess.  I'm starting to find I can work at one project for a long period of time, but actually finishing them is a challenge.  I always come back to do it eventually, but I'm not terribly good at being faithful to one project.  I like to bounce around and share my love with all of them.  Right now I've got a set of longies, a set of shorties, my knit-along project, and the winter shawl kit from Knit Picks.  I swear, I'll finish them all some day, but for now, it's bouncing around as the mood may take me.

No comments:

Post a Comment