Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Improvised Hat

This is it!  I'm flying without a pattern here!  I've decided I want to make a hat for the baby for winter.  After searching for patterns that would use the right amount of yarn and be flattering on a boy, I simply couldn't find what I was looking for.  I decided to try it on my own.  After all, I could make a cute little ribbed hat without much worry over fit.  It doesn't take much to fit a hat on a baby.  Just cast on a bunch of stitches, about proportional to your gauge and the size of the head and go.  I already had the gauge swatch.  I just needed to measure it off the longies.  The baby's head was measured and we were off!

Things were going pretty well.  I had a good feel for what I was doing.  We were making progress.  I had knit a good part of the way up and decided to start decreasing for the crown.  There was one slight problem.  It's been so long since I've knit a hat that I couldn't figure how to do decent crown decreases!  I found a website that gave me some suggestions, but it's not like socks.  There are a million and one sock recipes out there!  Hats don't seem to have any recipes at all!  I guess it's because those who knit without a net when it comes to hats generally have made enough that they've got it all in their head.  They don't need any help with it.  They just do it!  Not me.  I rarely make hats, and now that I was, I was stuck.

I have to admit, I got rather daring.  I started throwing those decreases in there, just to see how it would turn out.  I had some vague concept of shaping in mind, though I'm not entirely sure I was sane when I made that decision.  The hat is now too long and will likely require to be rolled up so my baby can see!  Still, I've got a pretty good science on this thing.  I'd like to think that it didn't turn out all that bad...I hope...

No comments:

Post a Comment