Tuesday, August 30, 2011

My First Piggy Warmers

When my littlest was just born he sounded like a little pig when he was upset.  He would grunt and snort like a little pig instead of cry.  Somehow that gave me a brilliant idea of something to knit for little babies.  I would call them "Piggy Warmers".  Why?  I'd already created a set of warmers I'd named after my older son, so now, since we've been calling my littlest Piggy, I decided Piggy Warmers were just to perfect.  I would be warming my little Piggy's piggies!

The idea for my older son's set were matching arm warmers and leg warmers.  Most patterns just include arm warmers or leg warmers, but my son liked wearing both at the same time.  Well, to keep in the same vein, Piggy Warmers were going to have to cover both hands and feet.  They would be little fingerless gloves and yoga socks, effectively.

I'd figured I'd start this project about the time Piggy started walking.  The little open heel and toe would be perfect for a new walker as it would allow him to really feel the floor under him.  Since are floors are made up of cheap linoleum tile in all rooms but the bedrooms, I figured this would also help him not go falling all over the place, but still be enough to keep him a bit on the warmer side when the weather turned cool.  They can also be pulled over socks for a little extra warmth when we go out, or his little leather shoes.  They would be the perfect addition to my littlest's wardrobe.

Not really knowing where to begin, I searched for a pattern.  Having no luck on finding baby yoga socks, I decided to get adventurous. I pulled out Cat Bordhi's New Pathways for Sock Knitters and got to work.  That book always inspires me.  I decided to base my idea very loosely on a combination of the Sky Sock pattern and the Sucky Thumb Mitts I'd knit not long before.  I used the same yarn as the mitts, doubled up so I could keep the same look and gauge.

In the end the pattern turned out to be more tricky than I imagined.  It's not easy to pick up stitches when knitting in the round.  All of the cast on methods I've seen seem to want to go the other way, except for long-tail, which I always cast on in the direction I knit.  Then there was the act of knowing how many increases would be enough, and at what rate.  Thankfully, on the first try it all came together, and I was able to repeat it all for a second sock.  I think I'm going to have to rethink the whole idea before I knit another pair, but that shouldn't be a problem.  I've got plenty of time!

As for the mitts and the socks, they match up perfectly.  I couldn't have asked for a better combination.  I can't wait to wrap them all up and stick them under the tree for Christmas.  Just seeing the way my littlest fought me on taking them off when I was done trying them on him, I know they're going to be a hit.  Maybe I'll be starting a trend.  Who knows?  Maybe babies everywhere will want to share in his stunning sense of style.  If not, at least I know his little piggies will be nice and toasty all winter long.  What more can a mama ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment