Sunday, August 28, 2011

Sucky Thumb Mitts for Christmas

Yes, that's right.  I'm starting my Christmas knitting early for once.  It all started with a little pair of mitts for my littlest one, the one that still sucks his thumb when he's tired.

When I saw this pattern, I immediately thought of my littlest.  The mitts were designed with the idea of little kids who suck their thumb in mind, but they're also fingerless gloves for very small children.  I'd been planning on making a set for him when he was still pretty little, just in time for him to start walking.  I was going to match them with a pair of socks.  This pattern, of course, made things so much easier.  Apparently I'm not the only one with the brilliant idea of making gloves like this for my little guy!

The pattern is fantastic and they went up in no time!  I just can't wait to make more.  I just wish  I had more yarn to work with so I could make him a whole bunch of them.  Unfortunately, I don't use a lot of DK or sport weight yarn.  I doubled mine up with sock yarn from my Cheshire cat socks I made a few months back. I accidentally made them with what I thought were size three needles, but apparently were size twos.  Even so, the gauge was perfect and the mitts fit perfectly!  The only problem was getting them off his hands so I could put them away for Christmas!

1 comment: