Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Because I Always Have to Do More

I'm "finished" with the Catamaran shawl.  I use quotes because I decided that, instead of throwing on the i-cord cast off, I was going to knit a whole second segment with the pattern repeat for a slightly longer shawl.  The shawl as it is wraps just over my shoulders and hangs about the level of my bra strap in back.  This is not the length I wear my shawls, even my nice summery ones.  I'm adding another repeat to add a little bit more length.  And why not?  I have the extra yarn.

Though, I have to say, I'm loving this shawl.  The fabric still feels a little weird to me, but it's pretty simple and fun to knit.  If it weren't I would have just called it where I was and thrown on the binding, but I love it.  The colors are fantastic.  Just everything about this shawl is wonderful.

I have to say, one of the things I like about this shawl is the way the yarn looks under the sunlight.  It's almost like it wants to shine, but isn't quite.  It gives it a really unique feel to it, which makes me so incredibly happy.  Even pictures don't do it complete justice.

This is a project I can't wait to have finished.  Yes, part of it is the satisfaction of having one more thing done and off the needles.  There's something wonderful about being able to show it off and say, "Look what I made!"  In this case it's because I'm really looking forward to wearing it out and about.  I think I'll be looking for excuses to wear it out of the house because of how wonderful it looks.  I am absolutely in love with the colors too.  The classic grays it was designed for are probably more wearable, but I absolutely love these colors.  I was a little hesitant at first, which I think I might have written about last time, but I'm not doubting it anymore.

The Hue Shift Afghan is coming right along as well, though not nearly as fast.  I'm on the last row of Section 2, which is coming along rather nicely.  I like the color yellow that's being added, and I'm looking forward to having another square down.  It's really enjoyable to see the way the colors pair up, though I think it will have lost it's charm by the time I've seen all the combinations going into Section 4.

However, this has become kind of a mindless knit.  On the right side I knit to the halfway point, then center decrease, then it's mindless knitting from there to the end.  On the wrong side I can just turn my mind off and knit.  The whole pattern is becoming pretty standard and routine.  I could almost do it in my sleep.

In a way, this kind of makes it become a boring sort of knit.  It's no longer a "one more row" kind of thing.  At first it was definitely "One more block!"  Now it's kind of, "I don't feel like working on the Catamaran.  May as well knit up another square, right?"  It's something to do to keep my hands busy while I watch television.

However, when I finish knitting one of these, I have another couple of kits from Knit Picks on the horizon!  I ordered another shawl kit (because I seriously have a problem...an addiction to shawls) and a poncho.  The shawl only comes in one color, fuchsia.  The poncho I picked in wonderful earth tones, brown and gold.  I can't wait to see how that knits up.  I'm probably not going to need it for another month, but I'll be happy to have it once the weather turns, so I want to be sure to knit it early so it will be ready in time.  Of course, that means I'm going to have to get cooking on the Catamaran shawl so I can be free to move on to something else.

Best of all, I'm finally getting a blocking set, which was much needed.  I've only ever blocked a couple of my shawls before, though I seriously should have been blocking a lot more of my knits.  I'm excited to finally be able to block things for real and not just on the carpeted floor on the bedroom or on my bed.  It's going to make so much difference in how my knits are finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment