Tuesday, August 22, 2017

The Trouble with Large Projects in Summer

Lately it seems all my knitting projects are big.  It started with the Hue Shift Afghan, which is built of four squares, though not terribly large.  I'd worked on a couple of shawls, but both were small and light enough to not be too much heat in my lap.  However, then I decided to knit the Oakwood Poncho.

Let me start with this, I love this project.  The yarn is a gorgeous color.  It seems to really suit me.  I can't wait to wear it when the weather gets cool in the fall.  It's going to be gorgeous.

Of course, that implies I'm going to make it to fall.  Right now I've got this huge, heaping pile of poncho on my lap every time I pick it up to work.  While it may not seem like much that it's 88°F (31°C) out there, but with this humidity, it's brutal.  On top of that, the A/C in my living room doesn't work that well, and the sun comes pouring in the window in the afternoon.  Let's just say it gets pretty toasty in there.  All the while I have this huge, wool project balled up on my lap and I'm trying not to die.  I'm telling ya, folks, this is a beastly thing in the summer!

So while I desperately love this project, I think perhaps it's time to start looking into something else I can order, something that will be smaller, or at least knit in smaller pieces.  Lesson learned, if I want to work on a big project for fall, either do it in fall and wear it next year or knit it in the spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment