Tuesday, September 14, 2010

And She's into the Home Stretch



Yup, it's clapotis talk again.  It's quickly coming to a close.  I've done all the prescribed rows and repeats, and then doubled the length.  I was only going to go half again on the length, but that just didn't seem like enough.  I was smart.  I tried it out before I made a decision.  I estimated about how long it would fall, how I would wear it, whether it would be long enough to wear the way I would wear it.  I came to the realization that I wouldn't be able to.  Instead of having half the length added, I decided to just double the whole thing, and I'm quite happy with the results.  Now watch it end up too long!

I have to say, this is pretty much the first time I've taken a pattern and customized it in any way, aside from doing the math suggested for custom fitting, something that's always been part of the pattern.  I've never ventured into doing anything flashy or unique.  I've just never modified a pattern like that.

In this case, the modification was thankfully easy.  All I had to do was add repeats and I know without a doubt I'll have enough yarn.  I had so much left over I was beginning to contemplate what I could do with it all!  I'd had some ideas, but I'll have to see how much is left before making up my mind now.  I'm not going to have as much as I thought I would.  We'll see what happens.  However, this is the first instance I've broken from the mold and done something different, something that wasn't listed as a pre-packaged option.

Who knows.  This could be a massive change in my life as a knitter.  It starts with the simple act of making a shawl longer, then who knows where it ends!  Next thing you know I'll be diving in to all kinds of projects I don't normally do!  Maybe it will be a sweater.  Who knows, maybe it will lead me to making my own patterns entirely.  Wouldn't that be a scary thought?  It's just so liberating to say, "I don't care what the pattern designer had in mind, I'm doing something different!"

No comments:

Post a Comment