Friday, September 10, 2010

My Favorite Shorties

A lot of people have asked me what I like to knit.  When I say socks, everyone gets it.  Socks are something everyone understands.  When I say shawls, some people don't know what a shawl is, but a brief description catches them right up.  However, longies and shorties?  People just don't seem to get those!  Even some of my cloth diapering friends don't know what they are!  I was shocked!

These are shorties, with my sweet little boy to model them.  This is my favorite pattern, the Greenway Diaper Cover/Shorties/Longies pattern.  I've tried a variety of patterns, but I adore this one.  The fit is wonderful.  There are details on modifying it to fit different sizes, a higher rise or with bigger leg holes.  The longies are designed to have tapered legs with a ribbed cuff, but that's easy enough to change too.  I'm hoping to experiment with color work as well.  Can you tell I love this pattern?

The only problem with shorties and longies is the need to use regular wool, so no superwash.  I love superwash because it's so much easier to clean, just toss it in the washer and you're good!  Instead, I have to hand wash them and there's also lanolizing them.  It's an easy enough process, but it's just one more step.  They can also leak if they get too soaked, so that's something to think about.  However, they're all natural and I absolutely love them!  On top of everything else, they look so cute!

This is perhaps my favorite project to work on.  For a cloth diapering mom, like myself, I'm able to make something fun and truly functional.  Unlike working with socks, I'm able to work with a larger yarn too, so I know I can work through it far quicker!  Better still, they're small enough to be an easy travel project, just like socks!  I can't wait to start my next set!

No comments:

Post a Comment