Friday, October 1, 2010

Feeling Homesick

Is it bad when your knitting makes you miss home?  It makes me want to move back up to New England today!  I'd love to be back in beautiful, scenic, historic Salem.  That's the place I truly call home.  Why is it that my knitting wants to be one more reminder?

The shawl I'm working on is beautiful.  It's fall colors into winter.  I'd worked through the whole solid green section with no issue.  The little leaves were coming out so beautifully!  Then I moved on to the two colored orange and green.  At first I thought it was pretty.  The color combination was surprisingly beautiful.  I loved it!  I couldn't wait to see it blend into the next color, straight orange, and on as it progressed.



Not all things can be as simple and wonderful as that.  In this case, I realized that the colors reminded me of fall.  The almost dappled appearance of the yarn reminds me of a mix of fall leaves.  It reminds me of pumpkins.  I think of Halloween and Thanksgiving.  It makes me homesick for the colors on real leaves.  It makes me wish I could feel the clear, crisp air.  It makes me think of the one place I want to be, Salem.

I love this project, and I think once I get over this little inconvenience of homesickness, I think I'll adore it.  I'm loving the patterning on it and the way the yarn blends.  I just wish I could live in a place where the season change would be perfect for such a garment.  I wish I was living back home.

2 comments: