Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Projects from the Past

I've finally posted pictures of some of my older projects.  Took me long enough, didn't it?  After all this time, I'm finally putting up photos of my berets!  The sad part is I don't wear them near as much as I used to...

The Meret Beret was my favorite for a very long time.  I adored it.  It was just the perfect shade of purple, even if it was kind of a bit neon, in a way.  It was made of Caron simply soft, which isn't the best of yarns.  When I made it, there was no yarn shop.  I was convinced it was the best pattern ever.  To be honest, I think the pattern is actually kind of lacking.  I'm not as impressed with it as I once was.

In a way, I think there's a lesson to be learned in all of this.  While I may have loved something in the past, that doesn't mean it will always be a favorite.  I outgrow things, and not just in size.  In this case, my style has greatly changed over the years.  I shouldn't be surprised.  It's a normal reaction to life.  On top of that, I'm also a very different kind of knitter than I was back then.  I look for different kinds of projects.  The things I find challenging have changed.  All in all, I'm drawn to more complex and interesting projects.  I've grown up, I guess you could say.

The green beret I make is still an all time favorite.  No matter what I do, I'll always love it.  It's the perfect color for me, even if it is made of that same acrylic yarn as the Meret.  I do love it.  It's got just the perfect amount of slouch and drape.  Better still, it's got all those little holes that allow just enough air flow in the winter.  It's become the perfect addition to my wardrobe.  I swear, if all my clothes matched the style, I wonder if I'd ever take it off!

I find it funny that a simple thing such as knitting can say so much about a person.  It's more than personal style at that point, it's also choices.  A project that I may love to knit could easily be a give away project that I could never stand to wear.  A project that I love to wear may be something I'd never want to knit again.  It's almost like knitting has it's own whole existence, it's own flair.  It says a lot about a person, and sometimes absolutely nothing about their own sense of style.

I have to wonder where I'll end up as a knitter.  I have my own very distinct sense of style right now, one where knitting really doesn't belong.  Knit goods don't really work with much of my wardrobe, though I keep trying to fit them in.  I wonder if that means my sense of style will change.  I suppose that's just how people are, always changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment