Monday, October 4, 2010

Frustrated and Ripping my Yarn Out!

This is infuriating!  I realized that I somehow managed to miss knitting one of the strands of yarn a few rows back.  It wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't just broken the yarn and started on the next section.  I was so proud of myself!  Two sections were already down!

I had thought to myself, "This will be easy.  I'll just drop the stitch, unravel it all the way down, and fix it.  I've done it a million times.  It's my common solution when I don't want to rip back several rows, or there are just too many stitches in each row to make it worth it.  I don't want to spend hours undoing my work just to knit it all back up again the right way.  That's pretty pointless, right?

Everything started pretty well.  I unraveled everything, picked up the lost strand, and was on my way again.  Things seemed okay.  There were a couple odd spots, but I was making progress.  It would look a little funny because of the way the stitches get pulled up, but that's normal.  I've kind of come to expect that.  It's better than always noticing the spot where it's wrong to the point where I can't tolerate to wear the thing.  That's a lot of yarn to put towards something I'll never wear, so fixing it was definitely better than leaving it.

Things don't always work as well as they seem to, and I've learned I can't fix garter stitch to save my life, especially with the row of eyelets beside the stitch I was focused on.  I pulled up all the stitches finding that, when I got to the top, I had done something wrong, and I couldn't see where.  The top stitch should have been a purl!  Why was it a knit?  I found the culprit, a stitch that never got picked up.  I dropped back and fixed it again, once more turning out with a knit stitch.  After the fourth time I decided I was giving up and I was going to undo it all to the point it was wrong and work it all up again, not only wasting my valuable knitting time, but frustrating the heck out of me in the process!

As if that wasn't bad enough, when I started working from both the center and the outside of the ball, the yarn tangled so badly that I wanted to cry in trying to work it all out.  I had my Chesh help me with it, but it still wasn't enough.  It's still a huge mess as we speak.  I'm trying to figure out if I have the patience to work it out.  I may never have the patience, to be perfectly honest.  Cutting it out might just be in order.  I just hope to avoid that at all costs.

It seems like my yarn is determined to make me angry.  It doesn't want me to ever be happy again, I swear.  Well, this shawl is not going to get the best of me.  I'm going to finish it if it kills me!

By the way, small edit to note that I did manage to get it all out without cutting the yarn in the end, but I had to knit with the yarn all wrapped up around my hand until I got back to the ball to keep it from getting tangled.  This is how I had to work:

No comments:

Post a Comment